An individual is eligible to be a candidate for Parliamentary elections if he/she meets each of the qualifications prescribed in the Act and the Constitution. These are:
- Be registered as an elector in the constituency nominated for
- Provided that a person resident outside of Tonga who is qualified to be an elector will qualify as a candidate only if he is present in Tonga for a period of 3 months before the election.
- Complete and sign the Nomination Form (Form 4)
- Have 50 or more person on the register of voters for the constituency nominate/propose you as a Candidate
- A candidate shall, before completing his nomination, deliver to the returning officer a written clearance from the Supreme Court and Magistrates Court to the effect that the Supreme Court and Magistrates Court has no record of an outstanding order as specified in clause 65 of the Constitution relating to the candidate.
- Be able to deposit $400 in either cash or a bank cheque draw on a bank registered or operating in Tonga with the Returning Officer at the time of nomination.